Friday, April 11, 2008

No More Peanut Butter

So, I've decided I hate the peanut butter plant.  In our garden, it is growing over everything and I've learned its got another name, Kruidjie-roer-my-nie, which means "herb-touch-me-not". This website says it's toxic if you eat it, but people use it medicinally.  Instead of waiting until next month, I decided to trim a bit of it today, I couldn't wait.  At first glance, all you see are the thick ugly stalks.


I trimmed a bit, and mind you, the reason I had to wait was because I am no gardener.  I make a
note of needing the following:  1) Small rake 2) Hat for sun  3) Gardening scissors.  I cut away at the leaves, feeling a bit strange as I get to decide what gets to live, what has to go, and what gets to stay.  I cut away, until I uncover what lies beneath the freaky peanut butter plant.  Go ahead, laugh at my tools.

I don't know how long it has been since these pretty ones last saw the sky.  The peanut butter plant was hovering over them, I didn't even know they were there until pulling up a large stalk of it. It was like uncovering a treasure!

I got excited, cut and threw away almost all of the Melianthus major.  I missed a nice photo op. When I was sitting in the lawn chair drinking tea, I saw a huge lizard in the yard, about 3 ft away from me.  I reached for the camera, but it ran for its life.

I moved on and caught a glimpse of a palm tree, hiding behind and held captive by some vines coming over the fence.  





2 comments:

Objects USA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Objects USA said...

Smelly,

OK so I Ieft a comment and had to erase it because after I actually read the post you already know that you shouldn't by using regular scissors to cut plants with.